LANKA THILAKA RAJA MAHA VIHARAYA. KANDY SRI LANKA
The history of the temple goes back to the 14th century. According to historical reports this temple was built by King Bhuvanekabahu IV, who reigned from 1341 to 1351 A. D. He entrusted the construction of this temple to his Chief Minister named Senalankadhikara, who successfully finished the works of this temple. The architecture of the temple was designed by a South Indian architect named Sathapati Rayar, According to the Professor Senarath Paranavithana, Sathapati Rayar designed this temple using Sinhalese architecture of Polonnaruwa era and also with other Dravidian and Indo Chinese architectural patterns.
The vihara buildings have been built on a natural rock called Panhalgala Rock. Among the buildings the image house possesses characteristically outstanding architectural features, embellished with traditional Sinhalese sculptures. According the facts recorded in the Lankatilake copper plaque, this image house was construct as a four storied mansion with height of eighty feet, but today only 3 stories can be seen.The walls and the ceiling of the image house has been adorned with the Kandyan era paintings and sculptures.
Rock curved inscriptions found in the temple premises with both Sinhala and Tamil sections, proclaim about the initiators and the facilities gifted to this temple by the kings.
The image house of the Lankatilaka is enriched with five devales. God Upulvan, Ganapathi, Saman, Vibhishana and Kumara Bandara are worshipped here. God Kumara bandara is believed to be the deity, who protects the Lankatilaka vihara.